Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJKAY645

Suggestion

Hi guys! It's me again...

Anyways I have a quick suggestion that I don't know if it's possible. 

You see, I want to make a server, but my computer doesn't support it. Is there somehow you can just have a button at the top of the page that says "Create Server" or something like that? I don't know if you can make that happen, but it's just a suggestion...

20 minutes ago, JJKAY645 said:

Thank you, but none of those work with my chromebook. Thanks anyway!!

Do you have linux? I have been able to set up a test server with MCGalaxy. And I believe you can port forward to make it go public. 

2 hours ago, AnarchyDarkWolf said:

Do you have linux? I have been able to set up a test server with MCGalaxy. And I believe you can port forward to make it go public. 

No i don't. My chromebook doesn't have it bc it's too old lol...

I need to get a new chromebook anyways 🙂 

This would never happen because it would cause chromebook kids to make pointless and not played servers, but if u really want to make a server for yourself then you can use MCGalaxy on a windows 10 or Windows 8+

And I do not recommend getting a new chromebook, because chrome os sucks ass firstly second Windows laptops can be the same price as a new chromebook but with 1000% more capabilitys and things u can do. +ClassiCube Downloadable client can be ran instead of webclient

18 hours ago, MegaPVP said:

This would never happen because it would cause chromebook kids to make pointless and not played servers, but if u really want to make a server for yourself then you can use MCGalaxy on a windows 10 or Windows 8+

And I do not recommend getting a new chromebook, because chrome os sucks ass firstly second Windows laptops can be the same price as a new chromebook but with 1000% more capabilitys and things u can do. +ClassiCube Downloadable client can be ran instead of webclient

oh ok. I think I'll get a windows computer now... I was wanting to get a new one anyways. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, JJKAY645 said:

oh ok. I think I'll get a windows computer now... I was wanting to get a new one anyways. Thanks!

Chromebook kid conversion therapy lets goooooo 👀

good luck kid go get a Windows machine and make us proud

3 hours ago, NyanSwagCatCC said:

Chromebook kid conversion therapy lets goooooo 👀

good luck kid go get a Windows machine and make us proud

ikr and yes lol

On 2/25/2021 at 8:09 PM, MegaPVP said:

i don't see the problem with people who play on chromebooks making their own server. and i also don't see how Windows could be better for server hosting, linux (what ChromeOS is based on) is more secure than Windows as it's open source so more people than just the devs can spot vulnerabilities and fix them. and for your first problem with chromebooks it's just your opinion. and about not being able to use. about not being able to use downloadable client, i'm pretty sure that chromebooks are x86 and have a linux terminal thing on them, these 2 things will make the downloadable client work on a chromebook

15 minutes ago, MESYETI said:

i don't see the problem with people who play on chromebooks making their own server. and i also don't see how Windows could be better for server hosting, linux (what ChromeOS is based on) is more secure than Windows as it's open source so more people than just the devs can spot vulnerabilities and fix them. and for your first problem with chromebooks it's just your opinion. and about not being able to use. about not being able to use downloadable client, i'm pretty sure that chromebooks are x86 and have a linux terminal thing on them, these 2 things will make the downloadable client work on a chromebook

mostly agreed but still chromebooks are more for browsing the web than anything else. Running a server on it or using it for gaming is not what chromebooks were intended for. I suggest windows for mcgalaxy simply because you get to use the GUI client which can run in your tray and out of the way. Not only that windows can be used to game on. Just because Chromebooks have linux doesn't mean its automatically better than windows.

34 minutes ago, MESYETI said:

replying about problem with chromebooks. One simple reason, Chromebooks are a excuse of a laptop and should only be used for browsing the web or school

1 hour ago, MESYETI said:

the issue with chromebooks is most of them are given by schools or are bought because they're cheap, and running a server on them, while it may be possible with command line, wouldn't be the best idea because of the cheaper hardware. An AMD A6 or Celeron will only go so far.

Your argument about security isn't necessarily true either. It doesn't matter the OS, if someone wants to exploit it, it can be exploited if tried hard enough. The only reason why windows seems less secure is because the amount of market share it has and the vas amount of dumb people that download stupid things and run it. ChromeOS seems more "secure" because they make it harder to run any software you want, like hosting a CC server.

Trust me, if linux was more mainstream on desktop market share you'd probably be seeing people deleting their entire hard drive by clicking on that one ad on youtube because tits.

19 hours ago, megaboi said:

mostly agreed but still chromebooks are more for browsing the web than anything else. Running a server on it or using it for gaming is not what chromebooks were intended for. I suggest windows for mcgalaxy simply because you get to use the GUI client which can run in your tray and out of the way. Not only that windows can be used to game on. Just because Chromebooks have linux doesn't mean its automatically better than windows.

i agree with you on the first two sentences. but about what you said on the third part, you CAN run the GUI client on Linux, the exact same way the CLI is run (except for filename, obviously). and you're right on the last sentence, not every linux distribution is good (i hate hannah montana linux). 

19 hours ago, MegaPVP said:

replying about problem with chromebooks. One simple reason, Chromebooks are a excuse of a laptop and should only be used for browsing the web or school

i don't know what you mean by "excuse of a laptop" but yeah they were made just for browsing the web, though if you're stuck with a Chromebook, server hosting is at least worth a try. 

19 hours ago, UclCommander said:

the issue with chromebooks is most of them are given by schools or are bought because they're cheap, and running a server on them, while it may be possible with command line, wouldn't be the best idea because of the cheaper hardware. An AMD A6 or Celeron will only go so far.

Your argument about security isn't necessarily true either. It doesn't matter the OS, if someone wants to exploit it, it can be exploited if tried hard enough. The only reason why windows seems less secure is because the amount of market share it has and the vas amount of dumb people that download stupid things and run it. ChromeOS seems more "secure" because they make it harder to run any software you want, like hosting a CC server.

Trust me, if linux was more mainstream on desktop market share you'd probably be seeing people deleting their entire hard drive by clicking on that one ad on youtube because tits.

yeah the hardware isn't the best on a chromebook. i dont know much about processors but I've been fine hosting servers on my intel celeron laptop (though I no longer do, i use my VPS now) and what you say is the "only reason" really isn't the only reason, as I said Linux is open source and Windows is not, Linux is popular and open source, so because its popular, more people will be reading the source code, spotting vulnerabilities and reporting them, with Windows you are putting your trust into knowing that the developers are making sure that the operating system is safe. 

also, i doubt clicking an ad would execute "rm -rf / --no-preserve-root" 😉

34 minutes ago, MESYETI said:

i agree with you on the first two sentences. but about what you said on the third part, you CAN run the GUI client on Linux, the exact same way the CLI is run (except for filename, obviously). and you're right on the last sentence, not every linux distribution is good (i hate hannah montana linux). 

i don't know what you mean by "excuse of a laptop" but yeah they were made just for browsing the web, though if you're stuck with a Chromebook, server hosting is at least worth a try. 

yeah the hardware isn't the best on a chromebook. i dont know much about processors but I've been fine hosting servers on my intel celeron laptop (though I no longer do, i use my VPS now) and what you say is the "only reason" really isn't the only reason, as I said Linux is open source and Windows is not, Linux is popular and open source, so because its popular, more people will be reading the source code, spotting vulnerabilities and reporting them, with Windows you are putting your trust into knowing that the developers are making sure that the operating system is safe. 

also, i doubt clicking an ad would execute "rm -rf / --no-preserve-root" 😉

Yes true but Linux on the chromebook runs as a emulator that is installed on to the chromebook so Linux will be wayy laggier than just using a Windows 10 with 64 bit capibillities

1 hour ago, MegaPVP said:

Yes true but Linux on the chromebook runs as a emulator that is installed on to the chromebook so Linux will be wayy laggier than just using a Windows 10 with 64 bit capibillities

i doubt it's emulated, ChromeOS is built on the Linux Kernel. Windows 10 is really slow, it's definitley not faster than linux. 

38 minutes ago, MESYETI said:

i doubt it's emulated, ChromeOS is built on the Linux Kernel. Windows 10 is really slow, it's definitley not faster than linux. 

Read my post.
Chromebooks have to literally download linux to even run anything so what is the point of saying its built in.

not only that most chromebooks have only like 15 gigs of storage. My server megacraft, takes 30 gigs of storage total.

also using a laptop to host is just stupid in general regardless of what os people are using. 

Windows 10 isn't slow at all actually, it only depends on the specs and saying its faster than linux makes zero sense.
the speed of the os has nothing to do with the server. It has something to do with the specs. 
chromebooks have roughly on average 2-4 gigs of ram.

also when a chromebook falls asleep people will not even be able to connect to the server. (trust me I ran a minecraft server off my school chromebook, it didn't end well)

Lastly, don't encourage the chromies to host their own server. It just adds to the list of useless servers.

29 minutes ago, megaboi said:

Read my post.
Chromebooks have to literally download linux to even run anything so what is the point of saying its built in.

not only that most chromebooks have only like 15 gigs of storage. My server megacraft, takes 30 gigs of storage total.

also using a laptop to host is just stupid in general regardless of what os people are using. 

Windows 10 isn't slow at all actually, it only depends on the specs and saying its faster than linux makes zero sense.
the speed of the os has nothing to do with the server. It has something to do with the specs. 
chromebooks have roughly on average 2-4 gigs of ram.

also when a chromebook falls asleep people will not even be able to connect to the server. (trust me I ran a minecraft server off my school chromebook, it didn't end well)

Lastly, don't encourage the chromies to host their own server. It just adds to the list of useless servers.

i did read your post 🙂

isn't the linux part only the bash terminal? ChromeOS is built on the Linux kernel. 

yeah, they don't need much since they are made for web browsing and to hold ChromeOS. it is, the dumb photo viewer took a few minutes to open and load an image on my laptop, on Debian linux, photos open instantly. 

about your last point, there is nothing wrong with trying out server hosting, no matter what device you are on. nothing wrong with a list of servers either, if you're so bothered by it, just use direct connect?