Dexrn

Does MCGalaxy allow for saving in .mine/CW format?

Question

Title is self-explanatory, although the overall question might be dumb to some... MCGalaxy seems to save with a .lvl extension, assuming this isn't just .mine or CW format, then does MCGalaxy allow for saving in those formats (even through the use of a plugin), or do the devs have any plans to implement saving in other formats?

I can see why there would be issues saving in .mine, as CPE support (probably) won't work with that, and the alternative to this is to load the levels that you wanna save in the CC client itself and save from there in the preferred format, but it would be nice to know if MCGalaxy could do it by itself.

8 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Goodly said:

No (it does not)

I might build some converter for it then, although going from CPE-supported to non-CPE formats will be very lossy I assume.

and by might, I mean might right now... If I don't now I will have to do it later anyway.

Edited by Dexrn
correcting myself for the second time ig

1 minute ago, Dexrn said:

I might build some converter for it then, although going from CPE-supported to non-CPE formats will be very lossy I assume.

and by might, I mean might right now... If I don't now I will have to do it later anyway.

What is the purpose of doing this?

You can connect to the server and save the level with the client, but you do miss out on server-side configurations in doing so (npcs, etc)

2 minutes ago, Goodly said:

What is the purpose of doing this?

Right now I'm working on a project where I am mapping out a few file formats for a hex editor (so that it can visualize the data), but later it'll be for a project that in the end should allow for conversion between many different formats and editions of the MC. (including Classic, which I will support most if not all of the most used classic world formats)

4 minutes ago, AndrewPH said:

You can connect to the server and save the level with the client, but you do miss out on server-side configurations in doing so (npcs, etc)

yeah I mentioned this, unfortunately I've just ran into an issue where I found that CC saves in V3 .mine, I am currently working on mapping V2 .mine... I wonder if there is any way I can force it to save in V2 (if it even supports serializing it)

5 minutes ago, Dexrn said:

Right now I'm working on a project where I am mapping out a few file formats for a hex editor (so that it can visualize the data), but later it'll be for a project that in the end should allow for conversion between many different formats and editions of the MC. (including Classic, which I will support most if not all of the most used classic world formats)

What does this have to do with MCGalaxy saving in those formats though? Were you hoping to use MCGalaxy level outputs as reference?

Just now, Goodly said:

What does this have to do with MCGalaxy saving in those formats though? Were you hoping to use MCGalaxy level outputs as reference?

Yes.

Was also thinking of generating a bunch of different MCGalaxy worlds...

The MCGalaxy and by extension the MCSharp/MCLawl/MCZall/MCForge (not redux, that uses it's own level format with 16bit block arrays and without the extension data) level format is documented here.

Besides that, MCGalaxy does have a framework for exporting levels to different formats, although that never ended up being used.

Edited by icanttellyou