I hope this message finds you well. My name is Gogofbi816172, and I've been a member of the Classicube community for several years now. Recently, I've taken some time to check up on the game, and I've noticed that it seems to be struggling.

As a dedicated player who has been with Classicube for a significant amount of time, I wanted to reach out to you directly to express my concerns. Classicube holds a special place in my heart, and I truly believe in its potential.

However, it's apparent that the game could benefit from updates and improvements to enhance the player experience and ensure its continued success. I'm writing to inquire about any plans you might have for updating Classicube in the near future.

I understand that game development can be complex and challenging, but I believe that with the right attention and resources, Classicube could thrive once again. As an avid supporter of the game, I'm eager to see it reach new heights.

If there's anything I can do to help or if you're open to discussing ideas for the game's improvement, please don't hesitate to reach out. Your dedication to Classicube is truly appreciated, and I'm confident that together, we can make a positive impact on its future. @AndrewPH

Why don't you ai-generate some updates for the game

• cube 4
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Gogofbi816172 said:

I understand that game development can be complex and challenging,

There is no game development involved in ClassiCube, especially on Andrews side

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

I don't know what plans CC devs have for the game, but I feel you on this.

Personally, I want to try and see if I can implement a couple things in tandem with the Nullblox coding / art commissions community, as they've proven competent to me in Minecraft related projects.

I haven't asked for the endorsement or approval of CC staff yet on this so it's a big IF and I don't know yet if these things are possible.

- FPS gun mechanics w / animations / proper models. Models are done, this would just need coding.

- Implement commands from normal Minecraft that I noticed are missing, like cs rotate or voxel sniper.

(you can effectively do voxel sniper right now with the right commands anyway Goodlyay proved this within 10 minutes of me asking in NA2 lol, absolute mad lad.)

- Expanded Bot functions, simple shooter AI for FPS maps too. As much of what I can get in inspiration to Noppes CustomNPC mod.

- See if we can expand survival modes any further or not.  - can't do this, confirmed.

These are the things I want to look into, it's quite possible that the devs already looked into these and decided it wasn't worth it or not possible but I don't know yet so I'll have to find out. What I think, is that CC is more of a passion project than anything, these people don't have a stable source of income *from CC* so updating and coding at the cost of their own time and life is purely from charity and I shouldn't expect them to develop any of these things in their own time.

If any devs / staff want to chip in on the viability on these things, or whether it should even be tried, I'm all ears!

edit; the reason i want to push FPS aspects is because I think CC is perfect for it. We had a blast in Au70 when Jonty made /gun for it, it inspired maps to be made for it, and there's the ping / lag aspect of it when it comes to the map. In normal minecraft, if you play with gun mods you're loading in the world as you run around and it stutters, so when alone playing with guns is fun and all, but in a group it can get pretty messy with ping / lag w guns - but CC has the whole map loaded from the get go. And if AI can be done for this, it'll mean a whole new genre of servers or modes we can do, it would be insane potential for both pulling people back and inspire new projects to keep CC alive.

Edited by Moufisto
  • cube 1

In general anything that requires the client itself to be modified for a new feature is probably not going to happen. The rest of what you've mentioned is doable if a developer is interested in it, but that's all server side stuff so it doesn't really have anything to do with AndrewPH or the core classicube dev 'team' (UnknownShadow200).

Nothing relating to survival will ever officially be added to ClassiCube for brand reasons

What is CS rotate?

• Agree 1

Just now, Goodly said:

In general anything that requires the client itself to be modified for a new feature is probably not going to happen. The rest of what you've mentioned is doable if a developer is interested in it, but that's all server side stuff so it doesn't really have anything to do with AndrewPH or the core classicube dev 'team' (UnknownShadow200).

Nothing relating to survival will ever officially be added to ClassiCube for brand reasons

What is CS rotate?

I can bankroll 500-1000 AUD a fortnight for the effort for the FPS stuff and I have contacts with Hypixel and other teams if Nullblox doesn't work out. AI will probably be a server-side job but I get the feeling there's going to need to be client adjustments or maybe resource packs can cover for the models? I'm not sure yet on specifics.

Yeah I asked Unk about survival, fair enough it gets too close to real Minecraft to do any of that. Bummer.

Cs rotate is like... Okay, you copy and paste something and then instead of a normal rotate or flip, you basically insert a number and it'll paste it that many times in a circle. I copy a Pillar, /cs rotate 8 <radius?> and it'll paste it 8 times evenly in all directions. 60 pillars? /cs rotate 60 <radius?>, 60 pillars are made evenly around, although it looks like a mess because 60 is insane. I forget the exact command line but that's the jist of it.

1 minute ago, Moufisto said:

I can bankroll 500-1000 AUD a fortnight for the effort for the FPS stuff and I have contacts with Hypixel and other teams if Nullblox doesn't work out. AI will probably be a server-side job but I get the feeling there's going to need to be client adjustments or maybe resource packs can cover for the models? I'm not sure yet on specifics.

Servers can send custom models so no client modification needed there. My main concern with attempting to develop any kind of fps mechanics is that the delay based netcode of classicube makes it kind of unsatisfying and difficult to play. At least for any sort of hitscan-type weapons. No custom sounds or camera feedback(shake, first person fire anim, etc) will also leave the gamefeel lacking.

5 minutes ago, Moufisto said:

Cs rotate is like... Okay, you copy and paste something and then instead of a normal rotate or flip, you basically insert a number and it'll paste it that many times in a circle. I copy a Pillar, /cs rotate 8 <radius?> and it'll paste it 8 times evenly in all directions. 60 pillars? /cs rotate 60 <radius?>, 60 pillars are made evenly around, although it looks like a mess because 60 is insane. I forget the exact command line but that's the jist of it.

Oh yeah, alecdent mentioned this as well. Definitely doable if someone has the motivation to add it

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Goodly said:

Servers can send custom models so no client modification needed there. My main concern with attempting to develop any kind of fps mechanics is that the delay based netcode of classicube makes it kind of unsatisfying and difficult to play. At least for any sort of hitscan-type weapons. No custom sounds or camera feedback(shake, first person fire anim, etc) will also leave the gamefeel lacking.

Oh yeah, alecdent mentioned this as well. Definitely doable if someone has the motivation to add it

Yeah most of those features would be client based I think. Shake / recoil, animations and sound, I asked Unk, the client is free and open to change but it can't be merged with the official master code. So it's likely it'll have to be edited to such an extent that it wouldn't let you play normally in normal servers, or maybe kick the player out entirely for being out of sync in code unless in servers specifically made for it.

I'd love to make this something all servers can enjoy to its full experience but I don't like my chances especially after hearing these points.. :')

edit tl; Also, I don't even know what server type I'd employ to bring this in. MC Galaxy seems like a fine fit, it already has bot and gun in it, maybe take that and develop on it? But I don't know who the devs are for that server software. (in terms of getting permission to edit / use it)

edit edit; also to clarify, I'm not trying to turn CC into a full FPS game, just to have it as an extended feature of CC.. Building and everything stays.

edit edit edit; "My main concern with attempting to develop any kind of fps mechanics is that the delay based netcode of classicube makes it kind of unsatisfying and difficult to play." I thought CC was better for it than normal MC, because maps are preloaded and /gun was crisp to use with hit detection. You're probably right, but I feel like this is one of those "lets find out i guess?" moments. :')

Edited by Moufisto

On 3/21/2024 at 9:41 PM, Moufisto said:

Yeah most of those features would be client based I think. [...] So it's likely it'll have to be edited to such an extent that it wouldn't let you play normally in normal servers, or maybe kick the player out entirely for being out of sync in code unless in servers specifically made for it.

The Classic Protocol Extension system is quite flexible (it's been expanded at least 37 times). While whatever features you introduce probably won't be accepted upstream, you can absolutely make a client that works on both normal ClassiCube and your custom modified version. Spec out a non-standard extension. When players connect to a FPS server, they get kicked if they don't declare support for it. Alternatively, you can gracefully fall back to simpler behavior when a player doesn't support your magic features.

With non-standard extensions I made (none of which went anywhere, sorry), I always prefixed them so they'd never clash with the standard, much like HTTP Headers. Something like "X-classi3-InfiniteMap" wouldn't conflict with the standard, and wouldn't conflict with other non-standard extensions made for other servers.

All this being said, modding ClassiCube into what is essentially a different game, with it's own separate and custom client, and then using the main classicube.net server index to announce and play it, doesn't feel particularly in line with the soul of the game.

Many players will try to join, realize you need an extra download, and feel like they're missing out. Won't help that most chromies are literally incapable of installing a custom client. At some point, there's no reason to keep using the old and crunchy network protocol, since you won't be interoperating with the main client anyway.

If for some reason, you still want to go forward, I feel you'd get better results forking this into a separate project, maybe it's own dedicated server list. You can still announce your servers on the main index. Although, it would be best if you kept them off the public list and instead linked to the server IDs on your own index/website instead. That way players with CC accounts can join your server.

Further down that path is becoming your own player and server tracker. Several CC servers accept players from BetaCraft, which uses Mojang accounts instead of ClassiCube accounts. This leaves the door for still allowing users from CC to join through private server IDs without having to register on your service. ClassiCube also has an OAuth system (which is used for this forum!) that you could potentially use to allow quick sign-in without forcing players to re-register for the new one. Ask AndrewPH about it, if and when you're serious about doing something like that.

TLDR: You're making a completely new game. There are many options, if you decide to use ClassiCube as the basis for your project. Doing any of them is a large amount of work and dedication, just to stay connected to the community in some way. At some point, you're better off writing your game from scratch.

• Winner 1