Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pear

Arch Linux

1 hour ago, crush_ said:

Casul, real linux users compile Gentoo from source.

I'd just like to interject for a moment.  What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it.  Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.  Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system.  Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux.  All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

My buddy works as a guard at one of Microsoft offices (concentration camps). He said Linus came to visit the facility one day. Linux requested 5 system administrators be placed in a room and he be left alone with them to interrogate them.

Linus entered the room alone and shut the door. My buddy then heard 5 gunshots. Linux left the room, winked at my buddy and said, "I'd just like to interject for a moment.  What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it.  Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.  Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system.  Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux.  All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux. ".

My friend went in the room and saw all 5 administrators were dead. He also said there was significant evidence that Linus had performed dark blood magics. Also, the bodies were molested.

Bernie Sanders was visiting the facility the same day to bring food and water to the administrators. He tried to save them but was too late.

4 hours ago, 123DontMessWitMe said:

There's a box next to my television screen that says lenovo, so I think that's what I use. Is it better than Windows or Mack Oh Es?

yes, it is better than windows or mack oh es

4 hours ago, crush_ said:

My buddy works as a guard at one of Microsoft offices (concentration camps). He said Linus came to visit the facility one day. Linux requested 5 system administrators be placed in a room and he be left alone with them to interrogate them.

Linus entered the room alone and shut the door. My buddy then heard 5 gunshots. Linux left the room, winked at my buddy and said, "I'd just like to interject for a moment.  What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it.  Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.  Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system.  Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux.  All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux. ".

My friend went in the room and saw all 5 administrators were dead. He also said there was significant evidence that Linus had performed dark blood magics. Also, the bodies were molested.

Bernie Sanders was visiting the facility the same day to bring food and water to the administrators. He tried to save them but was too late.

it's true, i was there as the door

Linux is, in fact, an OS that mostly exists on Servers, Mainframes (to a lesser extent due to IBM z/OS), and Supercomputers. Windows cannot even handle as much RAM as a Supercomputer and/or a Mainframe can handle. 

6 hours ago, awab4444 said:

Linux is, in fact, an OS that mostly exists on Servers (to a lesser extent), Mainframes, and Supercomputers. Windows cannot even handle as much RAM as a Supercomputer and/or a Mainframe can handle. 

Windows 10 Enterprise has a cap of 6TB of RAM, so I don't think Linux has an advantage in "handling much RAM".

Also, Linux is not even nearly as popular on mainframe computers as it is on servers, as the dominant system on mainframes is z/OS.