Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndrewPH

Important Security Reminder for all users

Hey all,

As time goes on, more and more register for our game, and more alternative/modified clients pop up for use. I just wanted to take a moment to remind everybody to use a secure, unique password for ClassiCube, and to never use your password in third party clients unless you're 100% okay with the chance that they could steal your password.

What is a secure password, you may ask? It's simple, just follow these guidelines and your password will be considered secure...

1. It isn't your username. This is shockingly common.
  2. It isn't a variation of your username or real name, or other identifying information.
  3. It's longer than 10 characters - past this point it's completely infeasible to guess your password via bruteforcing with current hardware.
  4. It contains letters (uppercase and lowercase), numbers, symbols, and spaces. The more complexity you shove into your password, the better.

It doesn't take much to have a secure password.

Why shouldn't I use my password in third party clients?

Third party clients are not made by us (weird how that works) and we can't guarantee that it doesn't send your credentials off to somebody else for later use. Even if it seems to look and function just like our client, it could be pulling a sneaky on you.

Security of your account is your responsibility - it's not hard to ensure.

Stay secure out there folks 😄

1 minute ago, PeppaPog said:

cool, but can you tell me what client steals passwords?

The point is that we don't know which 3rd party clients could steal your password.

These are the criteria you would need to meet to be able to trust a 3d party client:
1. Its code is completely open source
2. You have reviewed every single change done to the client to make sure it has no malicious code
3. You compile from the source code yourself, because any executables they upload could have something in it that wasn't shown in the source code.

Just now, Daeslender said:

So I am safe to post my password, which is 4EL0Srbc4com here in public chat? Nice.

brain GIF