barney86

Any server API documentation?

Question

Hi everyone! Nerd barney here.

Recently got invited to this game by a friend who has a great server, and I really love this game, but hence the situation in Ukraine, I can't always join his server which is genuinely the only way I can enjoy this game.

I wanted to make my own server to just play with any stranger hopping on. Of course, I already have some experience in hosting - TFC and DMC my beloved, but sadly I didn't find any normal dedicated server software that matches good with me - MCGalaxy is Windows-only, and as a Xubuntu user it's a 0% match, even using Wine and even Mono. Other use hard for me languages like JS or dear god node.

The only option I found - writing my own engine - and this is how greek legends about pushing a boulder start - after turning the internet upside down (probably because of my laziness) I couldn't find any documentation how CC servers work, and learning how they work by reading other engine code is just SM64 decompilation level madness.

So, is there any documentation or at least a quick explanation any of y'all have?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, barney86 said:

thanks for replying! probably it's just me sucking at using wine tbh, i have installed mono yet no program that needs net/mono recognises it.

btw when survival mode

I don’t think you even have to use wine, if your server was written to target .NET core with AOT compilation; that’s what I do at least, and it produces native Linux standalone binaries

• Agree 1

On 6/8/2024 at 11:51 AM, barney86 said:

thanks for replying! probably it's just me sucking at using wine tbh, i have installed mono yet no program that needs net/mono recognises it.

btw when survival mode

You should be able to run MCGalaxy on Ubuntu within a screen using the following command (if you have mono-complete installed on your machine already):
mono MCGalaxyCLI.exe

If this is failing to execute the server software, please provide a screenshot of the error message you're seeing.

• Winner 1

1 minute ago, Goodly said:

Classic Protocol (implement this first): https://wiki.vg/Classic_Protocol

Extensions that ClassiCube adds (each extension is optional): https://wiki.vg/Classic_Protocol_Extension

It's not clear from your message if MCGalaxy is bugged running on mono or you're just ideologically opposed to running it. A ton of the MCGalaxy servers on the list are running on linux of some kind...

btw when survival mode

actually yes, thanks everyone, i actually never knew i could just use mono to use such programs lmao.

"dumb dumb dumb stoobid" - barney86, 2024