Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NyanSwagCatCC

Server down on Client but not in Browser?

Question

So I just started a new server and I can't connect on my desktop client but the server works fine in my Browser.

The server's open, I UPnP port forwarded, I can see my server on the Servers List, and I can use the generated hash to connect to the server, but whenever I try connecting on the client it says "You failed to connect to the server. It's probably down!" (also it works fine through Direct Connect but connecting through DC works even if I'm not online so that's not a really good way to tell if its working correctly i think)

Is something wrong with my network? Did I forward my port incorrectly? Or is it something like other people can connect to my server through the Server List except me because I'm hosting the server on my computer? Help? Please?

I'm running MCGalaxy 1.9.2.3 btw!

2 answers to this question

Some ISPs/routers do not allow connecting to your own external/public IP address.

When you join from the server list, the game simply connects to the server's IP address. Hence you cannot connect to your own server, since the server's IP address is the same as your own public IP.

When you join from the website, it additionally checks if your IP address is the same as the server's IP address. If it is, then the website automatically configures the game to connect to 127.0.0.1 instead.

To fix this, you must connect via Direct Connect on your game client

First you must find your Ipv4 address, which you can do by opening command prompt and typing ipconfig , remember the ipv4 address it lists, you type the ipv4 address into the direct connect 2nd box, then add a colon and then type the port (DO NOT use spaces) In the top box type your username and leave the third box blank, now click connect