Moufisto

Check your evidence, or clarify?

Question

Posted (edited)

Snoozer1.thumb.png.efbd0031049a7c40325b4ae015905e91.png

Context:

So this happened today, we had Snoozer come in and make wild claims. we had 5 or 6 afk players at the time, so it's understandable that suspicion would be had of botting.

At the time, I checked Mikes account and none of them were linked to the players in game, and I've only ever seen mike pull in his alts when doing some higher level demotions and promotions in game using said alts- Don't ask me why, I don't understand that part. However, the players who were in I had seen moving and talking to each other independently and I see this on a very frequent basis when the server reaches its current peak of 10 players at once and when it's in its low states, the usual time zone for the server player base in the US and it's not uncommon for myself or others to afk hours at a time. 

Goodly also came in but I don't know if it's related, he might have been testing the claim too since Snoozer is apparently a regular in NA2, and if it's Goodly's claim then I kind of trust it a lot more.

[1]

3 minutes ago, Moufisto said:

Context:

So this happened today, we had Snoozer come in and make wild claims. we had 5 or 6 afk players at the time, so it's understandable that suspicion would be had of botting.

At the time, I checked Mikes account and none of them were linked to the players in game, and I've only ever seen mike pull in his alts when doing some higher level demotions and promotions in game using said alts- Don't ask me why, I don't understand that part. However, the players who were in I had seen moving and talking to each other independently and I see this on a very frequent basis when the server reaches its current peak of 10 players at once and when it's in its low states, the usual time zone for the server player base in the US and it's not uncommon for myself or others to afk hours at a time. 

Goodly also came in but I don't know if it's related, he might have been testing the claim too since Snoozer is apparently a regular in NA2, and if it's Goodly's claim then I kind of trust it a lot more.

[1]

[2]

We then had 123 come in, and tell us we're suspected of botting. Took us off the site list apparently.

I'm only asking to know how you guys came to this conclusion and what method you used to determine this, since I have seen the opposite in effect in the last week, I don't mean to be critical I just want to understand the decision.

123.png

Edited by Moufisto

8 answers to this question

It's because multiple accounts that sit idle in the server don't actually exist as ClassiCube accounts.
Not using ClassiCube accounts is not necessarily a problem on its own, but when the owner also intentionally disables afk kick to allow people to idle for hours on end, it sure looks like they're trying to dishonestly boost player count.

Snoozer probably said those things because I've complained in the past about multiple servers including mike's on this topic. I think it's pathetic to fake player count instead of making your server more desirable to visit to gain attention authentically

Their server has name verification on, so only real accounts would be able to join unless specifically circumvented by the owner directly.
Their server is not on any other server list, like BetaCraft, so there would only be ClassiCube accounts joining.
They have accounts that have been idle for like 18+ hours, have said nothing, built nothing, and have account names that don't exist in CC.
One such example, but not limited to:
5g8lycx.png

Classibuild: A Mikecraft Server has been de-listed from the ClassiCube server list for breaching the ClassiCube Terms of Service section 3c. for having a publicly accessible NSFW map with a portal from the main map.

Please see the following section:

image.png

Once access to this world has been limited or removed from the server entirely, please contact a ClassiCube staff member directly on Discord or these forums to review your server for re-entry on the server list. 

1 minute ago, Moufisto said:

I imagine this perspective comes from someone who wants to draw people to their own server and have a more honest look on the list, and sees other servers as competition.

That's part of it, but I do actually like going around to active servers when I'm bored to check out what's happening and get genuinely disappointed when it turns out to be fake "activity". That's also why I had joined earlier like you noted

4 minutes ago, Moufisto said:

I see, so it's not botting per say. It's allowing people to afk in the server

If it's not botting to intentionally connect with fake accounts to add more players, I don't know what is. Also keep in mind that MCGalaxy normally counts players based on unique IPs connected, so mike had to go even further out of his way to connect with proxies to get around this. He knew what he was doing.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Goodly said:

That's part of it, but I do actually like going around to active servers when I'm bored to check out what's happening and get genuinely disappointed when it turns out to be fake "activity". That's also why I had joined earlier like you noted

If it's not botting to intentionally connect with fake accounts to add more players, I don't know what is. Also keep in mind that MCGalaxy normally counts players based on unique IPs connected, so mike had to go even further out of his way to connect with proxies to get around this. He knew what he was doing.

My point is I don't see evidence of him connecting with fake accounts. These are all people I've seen doing their own thing and talking with each other. He would have to go through a lot of hoops to make this happen, as you say. 

This situation is simply Occam's Razor; Yes we have active players that afk, I am guilty of doing this for 12 hours at a time even. You know I'm not a bot, but you won't extend this to anyone else in the server because you don't know them or haven't been on when they were active.

IS WHAT I WOULD HAVE SAID IF 123 HADN'T JUST POSTED SOLID EVIDENCE. That's a blunder, you got me there.

I've asked Mike and Ninja about this, Ninjas claim is Yammicraft joins and spams servers using /afk text but he didn't comment on whether they were his, mike showed me the IP of himself and Yammi and they're different. I mean, VPNs aside, there's always a way around this so I'm not going to die on that hill. Instead, mike's decided to throw a 2 hour afk kick timer on, although there is the question on whether he sets it for certain ranks or not. I'll see what happens.

2 hours might be too long, Idk. It's something, I'm not the owner so it's not my call but I agree 18+ hours is extreme as fuck. Me being in for 8-12 afk felt like overkill too.

Mike.thumb.png.0dfe11f565b74e3d23a524f74b2041e1.png

I'm not going to ask for us to be put back on the list, we'll see if you feel if it's worth that later.

til; I wouldn't be making a lobby for a server that's dead. I'd be insane. I hope you guys understand that?

Edited by Moufisto

I couldn't join that server anyways, as for some reason any traffic to the IP that the server is on is just blocked by any ISP or mobile provider in my country. But what they're doing is just... bad. A server MUST have organic players for it to grow an actual player base. Not some bots but actual players who are interested in playing your server. And as the fact that there are many freebuild servers the competition is very extreme for the top place on the server list to get all the attention of the players. So from what I'm assuming Mike wants to hold the top spot most of the time to gain peoples attention. And from my experience you're only successful if you bring anything unique to the table and not for just being at the top of the server list.

Posted (edited)

I see, so it's not botting per say. It's allowing people to afk in the server, those are two very different things.

Although I don't agree with your philosophy on this, I understand and accept your perspective on this; I think that's a reasonable take.

I imagine this perspective comes from someone who wants to draw people to their own server and have a more honest look on the list, and sees other servers as competition. 

But as a player when I see flat 0's along most servers; I see a dead game. And maybe I'm wrong to see it this way, maybe I'm just not in at the right times to see it flourish via time zone but I feel like letting people afk in the game is an acceptable sin because it means people made the effort to be there in the first place and it's clear to other players even if they're afk for some time.

..Slippery slope logic on my point. It could go badly if you let it persist. Yeah I think I get it.

Edit: I said we need competitions or something to drum up community rapport but I think NA2 does that already so it's probably inappropriate to say that to you :')

Thanks for your reply Goodly.

Edited by Moufisto

1 minute ago, icanttellyou said:

I couldn't join that server anyways, as for some reason any traffic to the IP that the server is on is just blocked by any ISP or mobile provider in my country. But what they're doing is just... bad. A server MUST have organic players for it to grow an actual player base. Not some bots but actual players who are interested in playing your server. And as the fact that there are many freebuild servers the competition is very extreme for the top place on the server list to get all the attention of the players. So from what I'm assuming Mike wants to hold the top spot most of the time to gain peoples attention. And from my experience you're only successful if you bring anything unique to the table and not for just being at the top of the server list.

The whole point of this thread is that I've seen the opposite, but there's clearly been some suspicious activity mixed in as 123 demonstrated, so I'm either in the wrong on this or there's been coincidences. 
I can imagine that people who CAN afk all day WILL afk simply from other things going on, distractions, it's not 100% to me that this is botting and attributed to mike or ninja, but if it quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck it's probably a duck. 

Just saying my thoughts, not disagreeing.