ClassiCool

On the topic of .NET 8

With MCGalaxy 1.9.5.0 seemingly around the corner, I wonder if official compilations will go full force with .NET 8 or if will stick to .NET Framework 4 for just a bit longer. With over 13 years between them, I feel like it's a good time to upgrade. Not only is .NET 8 cross platform, but it also comes with a much newer version of C# with more bearable syntax (for example, you'd no longer have to type in `{ get { return "blah blah blah"; } }` for getters, just `=> "blah blah blah";`).

3 minutes ago, HarmonyNetwork said:

MCGalaxy 1.9.5.0 is already out, so you'll probably have to wait until the next version update in a few years.

Well it's not in the Github releases and it's not a tag so I assume there'll still be a little bit more work on it. The "Release 1.9.5.0" commit was likely only for updating the version number, not the actual release.

3 hours ago, ClassiCool said:

With MCGalaxy 1.9.5.0 seemingly around the corner, I wonder if official compilations will go full force with .NET 8 or if will stick to .NET Framework 4 for just a bit longer. With over 13 years between them, I feel like it's a good time to upgrade. Not only is .NET 8 cross platform, but it also comes with a much newer version of C# with more bearable syntax (for example, you'd no longer have to type in `{ get { return "blah blah blah"; } }` for getters, just `=> "blah blah blah";`).

It is possible to use newer C# syntax and libraries when running on the .NET Framework 4.0 runtime, although that is up to C# 7.0 and not anything newer. It is possible to compile and run MCGalaxy for .NET 8 and it will function mostly the same, albeit you have to manually set it up so that the compilation commands work, and even then a plugin or command might not properly reference .NET 8 assemblies and thus have to add //dotnetref Library.dll to the top of the plugin file along with the normal //reference LibraryFoo.dll lines you would use with .NET Framework.

Also MCGalaxy 1.9.5.0 is out, it's just that Unk hasn't gotten to making a GitHub release.

Edited by icanttellyou
it's //reference, not //ref. silly me
  • Agree 1