parker

classicube dos port?

7 minutes ago, sethbatman05 said:

ClassiCube requires graphics higher than MS-Dos probably supports. So it will more than likely never happen.

i may take this as a challenge

21 minutes ago, sethbatman05 said:

ClassiCube requires graphics higher than MS-Dos probably supports. So it will more than likely never happen.

well classicube probably supports 8-bit colour (which you can use in MS-DOS with mode 0x13) and im pretty sure there's a way to use opengl in it

• cube 1
  • Dumb 1

Considering that there are a Windows 95 port, chances are that a DOS port is possible if you use a protected mode interface (basically a whole kernel just to run DOS apps in 32-bit, just use W95 at this point), it will probably just run very slowly.

and imo asking for a DOS port is just vague because DOS has been going through a lot of hardware progress. So do you mean running ClassiCube in 16-bit real mode like it'd run on a 8086 or an 80286 (in this case it's just not possible because the hardware is far too limited for these kind of applications to run efficiently)? Or do you mean a 386/486? In which can basically run Windows 95 and therefore run ClassiCube?

Also, about OpenGL, if you want to run a "DOS port", I think you'd be better off writing all the 3D rendering yourself (which would be very well optimized for the purpose as you're doing software rendering) rather than using specifications designed for GPUs. But expect your software rendering to be slow.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, matthilde said:

Considering that there are a Windows 95 port, chances are that a DOS port is possible if you use a protected mode interface (basically a whole kernel just to run DOS apps in 32-bit, just use W95 at this point), it will probably just run very slowly.

and imo asking for a DOS port is just vague because DOS has been going through a lot of hardware progress. So do you mean running ClassiCube in 16-bit real mode like it'd run on a 8086 or an 80286 (in this case it's just not possible because the hardware is far too limited for these kind of applications to run efficiently)? Or do you mean a 386/486? In which can basically run Windows 95 and therefore run ClassiCube?

Also, about OpenGL, if you want to run a "DOS port", I think you'd be better off writing all the 3D rendering yourself (which would be very well optimized for the purpose as you're doing software rendering) rather than using specifications designed for GPUs. But expect your software rendering to be slow.

i know there is doscraft i was thinking of modifying that to work with the servers

On 8/4/2023 at 7:17 PM, sethbatman05 said:

well, from what i recall 3dfx glide does have a dos api, and i'm sure a voodoo 2 should be able to render enough polys at a playable framerate to match a tiny render distance.

EDIT: Here's a rough performance estimate, based on the 3dfx Voodoo Banshee technical reference at https://3dfxarchive.com/reference.htm.
Wanted to use the Voodoo 2 reference, but the performance numbers there were illegible...

The card should be appears mostly fill-rate limited, with a maximum fill rate of around 50Megapixels per second rendering trilinear texture-mapped polygons. Assuming a 20fps framerate, this equates to 2,5Megapixels per frame, or 5 full 800x600 repaints.

Of course you'll probably want a higher framerate. If purely fill-rate limited, you could achieve 100fps, but that would require having no overdraw whatsoever, something that sounds tricky. With sufficient optimizations, I'm sure 45fps is possible, and maybe even 60 if you have low enough overdraw.

Edited by FavoritoHJS
Added a back-of-the-envelope calculation.

On 8/12/2023 at 2:43 AM, parker said:

Like this

There is a difference between a barebones voxel engine and ClassiCube, which contains more game logic than you think.

But again, if you really want a DOS port just run it on Windows 95. It's pretty much the same thing

1 hour ago, matthilde said:

There is a difference between a barebones voxel engine and ClassiCube, which contains more game logic than you think.

But again, if you really want a DOS port just run it on Windows 95. It's pretty much the same thing

i want it to run on just dos I think i can use that as a starting point

On 8/12/2023 at 7:43 AM, parker said:

Like this

I tried this on DosBox (since I don't have a real MS-DOS PC) and it just lagged alot and there is no ground so yeah I probably need a real ms dos pc

Edited by Redhotsans
accidentally placed the text inside the reply box