armando

Unable to launch on Alpine Linux

Question

I have given the executable proper permission to execute yet it doesnt start up or do anything.

But still, trying to launch it using sh(By doing ./ClassiCube) outputs

"/bin/sh: ./ClassiCube: not found"

"sh ClassiCube" outputs:

"ClassiCube: line 0: syntax error: unexpected redirection (expecting ")")"

and "bash Classicube" says

"ClassiCube: ClassiCube: cannot execute binary file"

I´m not sure what the cause is.

1 answer to this question

That error occurs because ClassiCube was built for a different libc, causing ABI incompatibilities.

Most Linux programs are actually built for GNU/Linux (a subset of Linux) specifically, which includes using a glibc toolchain. The problem is that if the distribution you're trying to run it on isn't a GNU/Linux distribution, and thus doesn't have glibc, it won't work. Alpine Linux is one of those distributions - It's Linux, but it's not GNU/Linux. They use musl instead of glibc and busybox instead of coreutils. (This might not make sense, but when you realize how much smaller Alpine Linux is than GNU/Linux distributions you'll understand why they did that.)

There a few solutions in this case:

1. Compile ClassiCube from source. This will result in the best experience and is a great way to learn about compiling things in general.

2. Installing gcompat with "apk add gcompat" to provide a compatibility layer on top of musl. I've done that before on postmarketOS, which is based on Alpine Linux. It's the easist approach, but it's far from perfect, and not everything will work properly.

3. Installing glibc on top of Alpine Linux. You really shouldn't go down that route, but it *is* possible.

Further reading:https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Running_glibc_programs