Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndrewPH

What is this? Where am I? Where did all the topics go?!

hi,

I just got finished writing an oauth provider into the ClassiCube website, and simultaneously got bored of maintaining the old forum code.

So I've gone and made a new forum, with none of the old classic threads you know and love, but with almost all of the ease-of-posting that came with the old forums.

All you need to do is slap that "Sign in with ClassiCube account" button and click 'yes, log in' to get logged in here.

But Andrew, where the heck did all the old posts go?

Don't worry, they're still there, right where you left them. You can access them at the same old site. Everything's just read-only, meaning you can't post or edit anything.

Due to the radical change in how this forum software works vs the old handmade one, it's not really possible for me to automatically move all threads over. The idea is we (the team, or you) can copy and paste threads over as wanted.

But really, why?

I wrote the old forums from scratch (well, with Flask) and they were buggy and relatively poorly written because I was much more inexperienced when I wrote it.

Now that I'm much more experienced at writing large applications, I don't have the drive to rewrite my poorly-written mess of a forum system. Additionally, since they're directly coupled with the rest of the site, any change I made had a chance of breaking the rest of the site for a moment. Adding new features that required database changes were iffy because I don't have a good migration system set up to perform schema modifications. It was a mess.

This new system allows me to decouple the forums entirely from the site, only relying on the site for logins (which are handled via oauth, no custom wizardry!) and hosted on an entirely different system.

anyway, thanks.

R.I.P. Old Forums. (Also, i'll stop posting shit here, I was a dick those days, okay?)

On 4/19/2020 at 1:36 AM, Space2ninja101 said:

RIP the old forums but the new one does have more features so its kinda better

Yep, but the old ones were more unique, since they were made only by unknownshadow

5 minutes ago, Rubiktor012 said:

Yep, but the old ones were more unique, since they were made only by unknownshadow

No they weren't

I made them.

1 hour ago, AndrewPH said:

No they weren't

I made them.

Sry i forgot lol

Anyways, same thing. They are more special

On 4/21/2020 at 3:38 PM, Rubiktor012 said:

Sry i forgot lol

Anyways, same thing. They are more special

if you only knew what goes into making software like this, the only thing "special" about them would be the rate they decrease your will to live 

ii_tix was BANNED for this post by AndrewPH

Ban Reason: why reply? - 4 hours

e

17 hours ago, ii_tix said:

e

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST: why reply? - 4 hours (AndrewPH))

well done for getting yourself banned

theawesome98 is my friend from scratch.mit.edu, i think? dude, be careful, you dont want to get banned

oh wait that was another dude nvm

what you should add would be a way to navigate your way back to the classicube site. Kinda gets annoying having to press back to get back to the classicube site.