Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Telaso1

What is the oldest hardware/platform that Classicube could run on?

I'm just curious. I know nothing about coding, but i think it would be interesting to see classicube run on a GBA or something.

At the current moment in time, I’m working on testing out how many machines I can get to run ClassiCube. So far I have one machine that is Win98. (Rough) specs as follows:

Compaq Deskpro 2000

Pentium 1 (unknown speed, assuming around 150mhz?)

128MB Ram

8.4 GB 5400 rpm HDD

Onboard Cirrus Logic Graphics (assumed 2MB VRAM)

No sound card

This machine does not run ClassiCube 32-bit. Upon opening the download, it pops up with an error of “unexpected error”. I’d have to re-run it and grab the long text of the error when I get home tonight. But hey, it runs Doom at least!

I’ll do more testing later with other machines I have, hopefully this can provide more specific information as to what can and cannot run ClassicCube. Maybe even help with updating or including a “minimum requirements” section. 

1 hour ago, Jermoblaa said:

At the current moment in time, I’m working on testing out how many machines I can get to run ClassiCube. So far I have one machine that is Win98. (Rough) specs as follows:

Compaq Deskpro 2000

Pentium 1 (unknown speed, assuming around 150mhz?)

128MB Ram

8.4 GB 5400 rpm HDD

Onboard Cirrus Logic Graphics (assumed 2MB VRAM)

No sound card

This machine does not run ClassiCube 32-bit. Upon opening the download, it pops up with an error of “unexpected error”. I’d have to re-run it and grab the long text of the error when I get home tonight. But hey, it runs Doom at least!

I’ll do more testing later with other machines I have, hopefully this can provide more specific information as to what can and cannot run ClassicCube. Maybe even help with updating or including a “minimum requirements” section. 

I came pretty close to oldest yesterday but this Compaq is technically older.

I was getting about 7fps in a very tiny window with everything at lowest Windows 95B OSR 2.1
on a Pentium 200 MMX, 32MB of ram and a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446 2MB with a 8MB 3dfx Voodoo2 for 3D.

I compiled (with help from people in the discord) a version that runs on windows 9x in OpenGL 1.1 and can provide it if you can't compile one yourself

@Pirozhki I’ll give it a shot when I get home, but that actually would be helpful, yes! I don’t have a Voodoo 2, unfortunately. I’ll have to dig through my bin of PCI graphics cards and find what’s compatible with this machine.

What changes were made compared to the original installer of ClassiCube? Do you know? 

1 hour ago, Jermoblaa said:

@Pirozhki I’ll give it a shot when I get home, but that actually would be helpful, yes! I don’t have a Voodoo 2, unfortunately. I’ll have to dig through my bin of PCI graphics cards and find what’s compatible with this machine.

What changes were made compared to the original installer of ClassiCube? Do you know? 

it is basically the 32bit version but it is compiled so that the OpenGL1.1 support actually works instead of not working.  that is the only difference. you can also check the github for more info on the OpenGL build if you want to compile it yourself instead of a random on the internet giving you a exe

Okay, so funny enough, by the time I got home there was a different ClassiCube EXE file that was made for 95/98 machines. Sounds like you had some influence on this one @Pirozhki haha. It is running, albeit at around 5 fps. But it is running.

So with this particular machine, I can get the .wav files to play (all the sfx), but the minute it tries to load any .ogg files the game crashes. I've attached the client log if anyone's interested. I might make a new post for it, just in case.

client.log

50 minutes ago, Jermoblaa said:

Okay, so funny enough, by the time I got home there was a different ClassiCube EXE file that was made for 95/98 machines. Sounds like you had some influence on this one @Pirozhki haha. It is running, albeit at around 5 fps. But it is running.

So with this particular machine, I can get the .wav files to play (all the sfx), but the minute it tries to load any .ogg files the game crashes. I've attached the client log if anyone's interested. I might make a new post for it, just in case.

client.log 1.71 kB · 0 downloads

The new exe on classicube.net is compiled for i586 CPUs with OpenGL 1.1 for better support for older Pentium 1 era systems. And I can confirm the game does crash when enabling both sound and music (in the i586 build). When you enable both music and sound in the OpenGL 1.1 build the game does not crash but it does not play the sounds sending a message in chat saying "MMSYSTEM004 The specified device is already in use. Wait until it is free, and then try again. I will let UnknownShadow know about the crashing when both music and sound are enabled at the same time. (P.s have you tried playing in windowed mode in a small window? it boosts fps by a bit) edit: Are you in the Discord server? if you are not can I mention you in the report and upload your client.log file? along with mine for a larger sample size

11 minutes ago, Pirozhki said:

The new exe on classicube.net is compiled for i586 CPUs with OpenGL 1.1 for better support for older Pentium 1 era systems. And I can confirm the game does crash when enabling both sound and music (in the i586 build). When you enable both music and sound in the OpenGL 1.1 build the game does not crash but it does not play the sounds sending a message in chat saying "MMSYSTEM004 The specified device is already in use. Wait until it is free, and then try again. I will let UnknownShadow know about the crashing when both music and sound are enabled at the same time. (P.s have you tried playing in windowed mode in a small window? it boosts fps by a bit) edit: Are you in the Discord server? if you are not can I mention you in the report and upload your client.log file? along with mine for a larger sample size

No, but I will be hopping in the Discord shortly. And I did confirm that this processor is a Pentium 166 Non-MMX. I get a different error than you do, but it may be the way that your version of ClassiCube is compiled. I was going to try it today to see what happens or if anything changes, but it seems from your testing that sound is still unusable no matter the format.

As far as playing in windowed mode, I am currently doing that, in a small window. It does not seem to really change much, although water seems to be where the framerate is higher for some odd reason...

At any rate, i'll hop in the Discord. Hopefully your data and my data will help UnknownShadow?