Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonesy07

I thought 2d2t went full anarchy

Went on the server some weeks back griefing was turned on (Like a normal anarchy) And everyone was happy just got back on today and everything had been rolled back And griefing had be turned off, Sadest moment in history ngl

On 1/24/2023 at 7:53 PM, MESYETI said:

i wonder what turning on griefing means

It means your anarchy server becomes a standard freebuild.

2d2t is full anarchy still and always has been.

What you fail to understand is that anarchy does not mean "It must be griefed and it must be possible to permanently destroy people's stuff". It only means "there are no rules set in place by the staff or owner of the server". The rollback was performed by a regular player who decided to use their coding skills to create bots that allow them to fix up grief. Nothing here violates the idea of an anarchy server.

13 hours ago, Goodly said:

2d2t is full anarchy still and always has been.

What you fail to understand is that anarchy does not mean "It must be griefed and it must be possible to permanently destroy people's stuff". It only means "there are no rules set in place by the staff or owner of the server". The rollback was performed by a regular player who decided to use their coding skills to create bots that allow them to fix up grief. Nothing here violates the idea of an anarchy server.

All servers are anarchy servers. Some users just have the power to control what others can do.

On 1/30/2023 at 3:21 PM, deewend said:

It means your anarchy server becomes a standard freebuild.

oh well it never has been and never will be

On 2/5/2023 at 4:03 PM, SpaceDot said:

All servers are anarchy servers. Some users just have the power to control what others can do.

In order for this equivalence to make sense, it would have to be possible to gain full staff powers on any server just by making a custom client, but it clearly isn't. There's a meaningful difference between the power structures of, say, 2d2t and NA2. I define an anarchy server as one where all users have the same potential for control over the world and other players. 2d2t meets this criteria, whereas other servers that are not labelled anarchy do not.

The server can be whatever mesyeti wants it to be. Nobody is forced to use it.
However, it's very easy to understand, how users think it's not a "normal anarchy" server, as the OP stated.
When joining, they're greeted by server rules, by someone impersonating the owner and effective enforcing those rules.
Whatever you think of those users, that's their experience. To them, it effectively is not a "normal anarchy" server, regardless of what someone else's definition of an anarchy server is.

16 hours ago, Goodly said:

In order for this equivalence to make sense, it would have to be possible to gain full staff powers on any server just by making a custom client, but it clearly isn't. There's a meaningful difference between the power structures of, say, 2d2t and NA2. I define an anarchy server as one where all users have the same potential for control over the world and other players. 2d2t meets this criteria, whereas other servers that are not labelled anarchy do not.

All users have the same potential for power on any server, if they just use their social skills to gain staff positions. The main difference is that non anarchy servers have staff and rules to begin with and that real staff can change the actual server configuration, as opposed to an anarchy server, where your only power is through normal client to server interaction.

5 hours ago, SpaceDot said:

The server can be whatever mesyeti wants it to be. Nobody is forced to use it.
However, it's very easy to understand, how users think it's not a "normal anarchy" server, as the OP stated.
When joining, they're greeted by server rules, by someone impersonating the owner and effective enforcing those rules.
Whatever you think of those users, that's their experience. To them, it effectively is not a "normal anarchy" server, regardless of what someone else's definition of an anarchy server is.

All users have the same potential for power on any server, if they just use their social skills to gain staff positions. The main difference is that non anarchy servers have staff and rules to begin with and that real staff can change the actual server configuration, as opposed to an anarchy server, where your only power is through normal client to server interaction.

I agree it's easy to be confused by 2d2t. I can understand why they think it's not anarchy, but they're just mislead. It still is one. Not a normal one, but an anarchy server nonetheless.

"All users have the same potential for power on any server, if they just use their social skills to gain staff positions."

Very cool point, actually. I'll have to come up with a better way to describe anarchy servers.
Maybe this: An anarchy server is a server where

• Players cannot be prevented from joining the server, and the host may step in and violate the second clause to ensure this
  • All players have the same potential to influence the world, in perpetuity

just don't think about Panda's /BanAll Anarchy and it works I swear

is a server still anarchy if player IPs are banned from the VPS the server is hosted on

(at least 1 person has been banned this way from 2d2t, but since the server move no players are currently banned)