Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doge_Factor

When you get banned in forums, is it only in forums, or for classicube overall?

hey classicube community!

This question has been on my mind for a while, and i was wondering if i could get an answer.

So lets say I were to get banned in the forums, would i only be banned from forums, or classicube overall. 

If the ban only applies for forums, can you be Banned in a way, that your account can no-longer join any classicube server?

Also, just a thought, if you have to be 13 or older to play, then you can program the join sequence to require that the person has to agree that classicube can see their google account personal data, and using that data, the code can see if the person is older than 13. if they are not 13 or older, then they cant continue the account creating process, and if they are 13+, then they can continue making the account. its just a thought to weed out the younger ones. 

please answer the 2 above questions, and let me know what you think about the age verification process.

Thanks!

~Doge_Factor 

==========================================================================================================================================

EDIT: the age verification is probably not the best idea, i will admit to that. also, thanks for the feedback so far. 

I'm glad classicube has a nice community I can rely on!

==========================================================================================================================================

11 minutes ago, Doge_Factor said:

hey classicube community!

This question has been on my mind for a while, and i was wondering if i could get an answer.

So lets say I were to get banned in the forums, would i only be banned from forums, or classicube overall. 

If the ban only applies for forums, can you be Banned in a way, that your account can no-longer join any classicube server?

Also, just a thought, if you have to be 13 or older to play, then you can program the join sequence to require that the person has to agree that classicube can see their google account personal data, and using that data, the code can see if the person is older than 13. if they are not 13 or older, then they cant continue the account creating process, and if they are 13+, then they can continue making the account. its just a thought to weed out the younger ones. 

please answer the 2 above questions, and let me know what you think about the age verification process.

Thanks!

~Doge_Factor 

you can join classicube servers if you are banned

" then you can program the join sequence to require that the person has to agree that classicube can see their google account personal data, and using that data, the code can see if the person is older than 13."

not every classicube player has a google account and thats an invasion of privacy

3 minutes ago, MESYETI said:

you can join classicube servers if you are banned

" then you can program the join sequence to require that the person has to agree that classicube can see their google account personal data, and using that data, the code can see if the person is older than 13."

not every classicube player has a google account and thats an invasion of privacy

do you know how many times when I'm creating an account for a game, i am asked for an account whether it be a google, bing, yahoo, ect. to use for age verification? A TON!! So if They can ask for accounts like that, then surely classicube can do the same! Hell some games ask for access to my GOOGLE CLASSROOM CLASSES!!! invasion of privacy must be very common among the online game sign-up group. 

1. No. Forum accounts and CC.net accounts are not technically related. If you get banned from the forums, your CC.net account is technically still fine. The admins, however, can disable CC.net accounts manually - this is also called an omniban and can be given out for a variety of reasons.

However, to answer this more accurately,:

"can you be Banned in a way, that your account can no-longer join any classicube server?"

almost. Since servers do not rely on direct authentication with CC.net accounts, as long as you know the server's salt (randomly generated string), you can connect from any username, completely unrelated to a CC.net account. This, however, is highly unlikely to happen under normal circumstances as the salt cannot be seen by anyone by default on server software like MCGalaxy. However, even if this were to happen and someone managed to get their hands on a server's salt, there are still ways it can be mostly prevented: for example, admins could code a plugin that looks up whether a username that connects for the first time corresponds to a CC account and whether that account is banned or not, then either kick the player or let them stay.

Note: this is all from my knowledge. This explanation may be confusing and not fully accurate, if at all.

2. This is completely useless and flawed:

· What is a join sequence?

· Requiring accounts to authenticate with Google is a huge violation of privacy, and would cause a lot of outrage. And rightfully so. Google is evil.

· Even if such a thing were to be implemented, according to this page, users under 13 can't even register their own Google account, thus making such thing completely pointless. Also, every single person on the internet has lied about their age at some point, so people under 13 could easily get away with just lying when signing up with Google, making this even more pointless.

If you really don't want people under 13 playing in your server, enforce your chat rules better.

4 hours ago, Doge_Factor said:

do you know how many times when I'm creating an account for a game, i am asked for an account whether it be a google, bing, yahoo, ect. to use for age verification? A TON!! So if They can ask for accounts like that, then surely classicube can do the same! Hell some games ask for access to my GOOGLE CLASSROOM CLASSES!!! invasion of privacy must be very common among the online game sign-up group. 

No, this is not at all what is being said. Those "games" that require permission to access things like "google classroom" are more likely than not a data miner in disguise of a game.
And any games that have a method to sign in to a google account, most likely dont do it for age verification, and more likely use it as a convenience factor.
Age verification is almost as difficult as any form of verification not requiring even more privacy invasive tactics, like using an image of a driver's license, or state id, or social security.

Not sure where/what games you play/signup for, but more often than not, they either ask for an email, which in no way needs to be owned by google, microsoft, or yahoo (who owns them again?), well I mean as long as the game/site you are signing up for cares little of the domain, and more of if its a valid email.

Anything asking for access to information outside of the usual email and password for an online game, is more than likely mining information and selling it to the highest bidder, don't use those services.

To answer your question, about if there were a way to verify if a user connecting is actually 13, no, and there never will be.
For one, adding new packets for this to servers is against classicube's philosophy, they are a client/game trying to stay true to previous clients and their quirks and features.
Even if they did add such packets, it would still not be valid information of age, especially as you can make a google account without sending a picture of some identification... which is good in my opinion, but I digress.

The best you can do to prevent people from under 13, is to report them to classicube admins, if you suspect a user is under 13, as they could be in rather big trouble if they held information on someone under 13 and knew it.
And if you own the server, you can simply ban them yourself.

Any other form of way, is both out of your league, just as much as it is classicube's... just do your part/as much as you can...

Also, most often than not a ban on the forums is not because the user is under 13, its more that they are acting/posting in ways that are against the rules... the others that are banned for being under 13 will more than likely also have their accounts in some form deleted or banned? Can't state what, as I dont know how classicube accounts work underneath.