Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darky64

What's the best programming lenguage to start with?

In my opinion Python is one of the most easiest programming language to start with however, there are many script errors making it very slow to run code. Also it's memory consumption is a big problem. Overall though it is easy to learn, has more inventive parts and is very productive when trying to code games. I suggest you start with Python!

7 hours ago, Christofu said:

In my opinion Python is one of the most easiest programming language to start with however, there are many script errors making it very slow to run code. Also it's memory consumption is a big problem. Overall though it is easy to learn, has more inventive parts and is very productive when trying to code games. I suggest you start with Python!

remember sonic pinball on the genesis

that shit was so slow because it was C++ lmfao

I would say processing.js, it's simple to understand, and semi functional. Once you learn that, learn C#. Processing.js and C# are similar enough that you can take some of the basics of processing and put them to use in C#.

Also check out GameBoy assembly, it's pretty lit 👌

Edit: oop- looks like I already replied half a year ago lol

8 hours ago, Christofu said:

how would script errors make it slow? 

python is slow because it is interpreted, there are probably other reasons that it is slow since other interpreted languages such as Javascript and Lua are much faster

On 5/12/2020 at 1:24 PM, Darky64 said:

I was thinking about Phython, but i wanna read your recommendation

C, it's pretty simple

2 hours ago, MESYETI said:

how would script errors make it slow? 

python is slow because it is interpreted, there are probably other reasons that it is slow since other interpreted languages such as Javascript and Lua are much faster

C, it's pretty simple

A beginner shouldn't begin with a language just because it's "fast".

C isn't fast because "it's just fast", it just gives you finer control over the program, which can be faster or it can be even slower than Python , depending on the implementation.

It makes sense to start with Python, I think. It removes all the low level concept confusion (stuff like pointers,types casting, memory allocation etc.)  and makes you focus on just the simple stuff.

One can always move on to C later, and even combine C and Python, and I think that's going to be much more productive than starting with C.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:51 PM, UnspeakableGamin said:

hey guys I'm  UnspeakableGaming

Oh hi, PronounceableGardening

Probably JS and then soon after TS. If you learn ts, you should be aquainntent further with other languages 😄

Brainfuck, it's the best programming language after all.

On a serious note, I think lua would be an OK place to start.

Not too hard to start out, and there's a few games which are good places to start working on, like Roblox and Core.

6 hours ago, TheAwesome98 said:

yeti that’s a swer

true python is the worst swear word because python is the worst language ever

python (ugh), lua, or c# tend to be the best, although lua has some weird concepts that don't translate well

33 minutes ago, C1ASSIC said:

python (ugh), lua, or c# tend to be the best, although lua has some weird concepts that don't translate well

all of those suck

javascript or c or c++

javascript is the kind of language used by skid webdevs who think they are EXTREME COMPUTER NERDS when in reality they are using a bloated piece of shit

Just now, C1ASSIC said:

javascript is the kind of language used by skid webdevs who think they are EXTREME COMPUTER NERDS when in reality they are using a bloated piece of shit

i only suggested it because it is a good language for beginners

Just now, C1ASSIC said:

it's not if you want to be a remotely passable programmer lol imo

"remotely passable programmer" what do you mean?

GDScript from Godot Engine could be a good choice since godot can also run C++ scripts and has Asset Libraries for demos and useful plugins.

Also its UI is simple and has a lot of languages for the engine.

40 minutes ago, sussussus said:

GDScript from Godot Engine could be a good choice since godot can also run C++ scripts and has Asset Libraries for demos and useful plugins.

Also its UI is simple and has a lot of languages for the engine.

Proprietary languages meant for a game engine SHOULDN'T be your first programming language.

There is no "best" programming language. Find one and stick with it. Once you get good at one of them, the others become WAY easier to learn. I would say learning the most low level language that you can handle will help you more in the long run, as it will teach you the most on how a computer works.

8 hours ago, icanttellyou said:

Proprietary languages meant for a game engine SHOULDN'T be your first programming language.

Its not proprietary whatsoever...
Godot is open-source, henceforth is its interpreted language.

19 hours ago, Hayden_Classic said:

Only use the holy programming language C.

i almost thought you were going to say HolyC